An appropriate inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) experimental model is important for testing potential therapeutic agents and for investigating the mechanisms of pathogenesis. KBI utilizes colonoscopy to identify ulcerative colitis in NHP cohorts with characteristic clinical signs of chronic or recurrent inflammatory bowel disorders.
KBI screens for spontaneous ulcerative colitis in our non-human primate colony according to the following criteria:
· Chronic diarrhea for more than 6 months
· Chronic body weight loss in more than 3 months
· Fecal examination to exclude parasite infestation
· Endoscopy examination to confirm multiple and continuous colonic ulcers
· Endoscopic findings of colonic ulcers during the 2-month follow-up
· Biopsy findings of colonic crypts and mucosal damage
Contact us if you need more information.